28978 students are learning at 26 Fair Trade Schools
Why become a Fair Trade School?
By becoming a Fair Trade School, students and staff alike will have the chance to gain a deeper understanding of the connection between our food supply and the farmers and workers that grow our food.
For teachers and students, getting designated provides a valuable framework to introduce the principles of fair trade, including the stance against child labour, and a chance to explore its impact on children and communities in the Global South.
Calculate your school’s potential impact
Enter your student & staff population to get an estimate of your potential impact.
Potential Impact: usd
Estimate shows the potential Fairtrade Premium that could be generated by getting your school Fair Trade designated and if everybody chose Fairtrade coffee and tea every day. Add in other Fairtrade products like chocolate, sugar, flowers and fruit and the impact could be so much greater. The Fairtrade Premium is paid to producers for their crops, in addition to the purchase price, and is used to improve their businesses and communities.
The Fair Trade School designation is awarded to schools that meet four key requirements.
- A steering committee composed of a combination of students, teachers and administrators that will meet regularly
- The issues of fair trade must be incorporated into classroom instruction that includes learning activities and opportunities for discussion and engagement
- There must be Fairtrade certified products available throughout the school year to students and staff
- Events or activities must be organized to engage and educate, and to make the commitment to fair trade visible to students and staff.
We provide all the resources you need to get your community designated as a Fair Trade School. Download our resource kit which contains an action guide, pamphlet, requirements summary, application form and more.
If you are looking to source Fairtrade brands to meet the product availability requirement, the Canadian Fairtrade Purchasing Guide 2020 is a valuable source of information.Download Kit
Materials and resources
Fairtrade Canada has a wide range of free promotional materials available to promote fair trade at events and businesses in your community. Posters, stickers, buttons help attract attention, while infographics and fact sheets provide detailed information for those wanting more information. Business resources include window clings, shelf wobblers and coffee shop kits.Order Materials
* Estimates of Fairtrade Premiums are based on the average consumption of coffee and tea by Canadians according to recent research.